Do you have what it takes: Mind, Body and Grit?
Physical and mental toughness are just the basic requirements. This is about commitment. A commitment to yourself. A commitment to those around you. A commitment to make a difference, help those in need and be a keeper of the American dream.
It takes drive—the kind that doesn’t fade when impossible obstacles are staring you in the face. It takes mitigation, teamwork and the will to achieve something bigger. If you’re looking for something more, the West Virginia Army National Guard is looking for you.
To join the West Virginia Army National Guard without prior service, you must meet these mandatory requirements:
- Be between the ages of 17 and 35
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be at least a junior in high school, or have a high school diploma or a GED certificate
- Meet medical, physical and moral requirements
CONTINUE YOUR SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY IN THE GUARD
You already know the unmatched pride that comes with serving your country. The WV Army National Guard makes it easy for you to continue serving while receiving valuable benefits such as Health, Dental and Life Insurance, Commissary & PX privileges, money to continue your civilian education, Space A Travel, and much more.
Your skills and experience from any branch of service may transfer to the Guard. The biggest change will be increased flexibility in many aspects of your life—your schedule, choosing where you want to live and more.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL SERVICES
- Age - Must qualify for non-regular retired pay by age 60
- Basic Training - USN, USAF, USCG applicants who have not completed Army or Marine Corps Basic Training will be required to attend Basic Combat Training (BCT). Some exceptions apply.
- ASVAB - Applicants with a break in service of over 10 years must re-take the ASVAB to establish current scores.
FOR APPLICANTS CURRENTLY ENLISTED IN THE ARMY
- Enlisted Army Soldiers and officers may qualify for MSO reductions and up to three years of stabilization.
- Enlisted Soldiers - Work with a Reserve Component Career Counselor (RCCC) up to 180 days prior to your separation date for a smooth transition with no break in service.
- Officer - Talk to a Silver Siege Reserve Component transition officer up to one year prior to your date of separation for a smooth transition with no break in service.
The WV Army National Guard makes it easy for you to continue serving while receiving valuable benefits. Bonuses you may qualify for are:
- Prior Service Enlistment Bonus
- Enlisted/Officer Affiliation Bonus (Army)
- Enlisted MOS Conversion Bonus
- Officer Accession Bonus
FITNESS, HEIGHT AND WEIGHT CALUCALTORS
Access physical fitness standards for the Army National Guard here.
Access the height and weight calculator here.