Brig. Gen. Ray M. Shepard serves as the Assistant Adjutant General and Commander of the West Virginia Air National Guard. The West Virginia Air National Guard has over 2,150 members and consists of two flying units, the 130th Airlift Wing in Charleston, West Virginia, and the 167th Airlift Wing in Martinsburg, West Virginia. As the Assistant Adjutant General and Commander he provides command and control, over all Air National Guard forces assigned to the state and is the principal advisor to the Adjutant General, on all matters related to the Air National Guard.
Brig. Gen. Shepard first joined the Air Force in June 1985. His first assignment was with the Maryland Air National Guard where he served as a combat arms training and maintenance instructor. In 1991, Brig. Gen. Shepard began serving on active duty in the U.S. Navy as a Judge Advocate. While on active duty, Brig. Gen. Shepard served as trial and defense counsel at the Norfolk Naval Station and Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia and was later assigned as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney to prosecute felony cases for the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Brig. Gen. Shepard transferred to the reserves and served as a Judge Advocate in the 89th Air Wing. In 1999, Brig. Gen. Shepard joined the West Virginia National Guard and served as a Judge Advocate for the 167th Airlift Wing in Martinsburg, W.Va. Prior to his current position, Brig. Gen. Shepard served as the State Judge Advocate for the West Virginia Air National Guard where he functioned as legal advisor for withdrawal of federal recognition and administrative discharge boards, provided staff supervision and acted as mentor for junior Army and Air National Guard judge advocates within the state.
As a civilian, Brig. Gen. Shepard served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of West Virginia until 2000. Following the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Brig. Gen. Shepard achieved partnership at two large law firms with offices in Maryland. In June 2014, Brig. Gen. Shepard founded his own law firm, Shepard Law Firm, located in Pasadena, Md. Today, he is fully responsible for the operation and management of his law firm, representing clients in complex legal matters across the United States.
1987 Bachelor of Science, Towson University, Towson, Md.
1991 Juris Doctorate, University of Baltimore Law School, Baltimore, Md. 1992 Naval Justice School, Newport, R.I.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. 1985-1988 Combat Arms Training & Maintenance Instructor, 135th Airlift Wing, Md.
2. 1989-1991 Law Student at the University of Baltimore, Baltimore, Md.
3. 1992-1993 Military Trial Counsel, Navy Legal Service Office, Norfolk, Va.
4. 1993-1994 Military Defense Counsel, Oceana Naval Air Station, Oceana, Va.
5. 1994-1996 Special Assistant Us Attorney, NCIS Field Office/USAO, Norfolk, Va.
6. 1997-1998 Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. 1998-1999 Staff Judge Advocate, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. 1999-2004 Judge Advocate, 167th Airlift Wing, Martinsburg, W.Va.
9. 2004-2005 Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 167th Airlift Wing, Martinsburg, W.Va.
10. 2005-2010 Staff Judge Advocate, 167th Airlift Wing, Martinsburg, W.Va.
11. 2010-2019 State Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters WVANG, Charleston, W.Va.
12. 2019-2021 Deputy Commander and Chief of Staff, Headquarters WVANG, Charleston, W.Va.
13. 2021 – Present Assistant Adjutant General – Air, Headquarters WVANG, Charleston, W.Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Navy Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain June 1, 1992
Major June 9, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel March 5, 2005
Colonel March 22, 2010
Brigadier General February 1, 2019
(Current as of March 2021)