Official photo of Brig. Gen. Christopher "Mookie" Walker. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Senior Master Sgt. Emily Beightol-Deyerle) (Photo by Capt. Holli Nelson)
Brig. Gen. Christopher Walker is the Assistant Adjutant General and Commander of the West Virginia Air National Guard. The West Virginia Air National Guard has over 2,150 members and consists of two flying units, the 130th Airlift Wing in Charleston, West Virginia, and the 167th Airlift Wing in Martinsburg, West Virginia.As the Assistant Adjutant General and Commander he provides command and control, over all Air National Guard forces assigned to the state and is the principal advisor to the Adjutant General, on all matters related to the Air National Guard.
General Walker’s current federal dual assignment is Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, providing oversight and input concerning laws, regulations and policy of the Human Capital portfolio to ensure mission success. In this role, General Walker assists in areas of diversity, force development, force management, total force and Airman and Family Readiness.
Born in New York City, NY, General Walker began his Air Force career as a 1988 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. After Undergraduate Navigator Training at Mather AFB in 1989, he served as a C-130 navigator in weather reconnaissance and tactical airlift squadrons throughout the world, including an assignment as an airdrop planner in the Balkans CAOC in Vicenza, Italy and flying in various contingencies including Operations Provide Promise, Provide Comfort, and Provide Relief.
In 1997, General Walker left active duty to join the Air National Guard (ANG) and serve as a C-130H3 evaluator navigator, and has commanded at the squadron and group level. He served in various operations and contingencies such at OEF, OIF, Joint Guard/Joint Forge, and Volant Oak/Coronet Oak. He has served as a special assistant to the DIRMOBFOR at the 609th CAOC at Al Udied AB, Qatar, and also he served as civil aviation advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Transportation with the Coalition Provisional Authority. He has served as the ANG Crisis Action Team Director, Acting Air Mobility Division Chief at the 609th CAOC, and ANG Deputy Director of Air, Space, and Information Operations.
General Walker is a Master Navigator with over 5,200 hours in WC-130 and C-130E/H/H3 aircraft, including over 400 combat and combat support hours.
1988 – Bachelor of Science, General Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Co.
1990 – Air Ground Operations School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2004 – Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 – Air War College, by correspondence
2009 – Air and Space Operations Center School: Air Mobility Operations Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2010 – Advanced Joint PME, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 – Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2013 – Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2018 – Joint Task Force Commander Course, USNORTHCOM, Co.
2018 – Dual Status Commander’s Course, USNORTHCOM, Co.
2018 – Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Cincinnati, Ohio
COMPLETE ASSIGNMENT HISTORY
1. Jul 1988 - Mar 1989, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Cali.
2. Mar 1989 - Apr 1989, C-130 Navigator IQT, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. Apr 1989 - May 1991, Navigator and PA officer, 53rd Weather Reconnaisance Sq, Keesler AFB, Miss.
4. May 1991 - Jun 1991, C-130 Navigator MQT, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. Jun 1991 - Jan 1995, Lead Navigator and Instructor Navigator, 50th AS, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. Jan 1995 - Mar 1997, Instructor Navigator and Chief of Training, 36th AS, Yokota AB, Japan
7. Apr 1997 - Sep 1997, Instructor Navigator, 167th AS, Martinsburg ANGB, W.Va.
8. Sep 1997 - Feb 1999, Chief Current Operations, 167th OG, Martinsburg ANGB, W.Va.
9. Feb 1999 - Nov 2002, Evaluator Navigator, 167th AS, Martinsburg ANGB, W.Va.
10. Nov 2002 - Apr 2006, Commander, 167th OSS, Martinsburg ANGB, W.Va.
11. Aug 2003 - Aug 2004, Civil Aviation Advisor to Iraqi Ministry of Transportation, Coalition Provisional Authority/Iraq Reconstruction Management Office, Baghdad, Iraq
12. Apr 2006 - Sep 2008, ANG Crisis Action Team Director, ANGRC, Andrews AFB, Md.
13. Oct 2008 - Nov 2011, Chief Air Mobility Division, Bradley ANGB, Conn.
14. Nov 2011 - Jan 2013, Deputy Commander and Commander, 103rd Air and Space Operations Group, Bradley ANGB, Conn.
15. Jan 2013 - Mar 2014, Chief, A3 Mobility Operations Division, ANGRC, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
16. Mar 2014 - Aug 2014, NGB Acting Deputy Director, Air, Space and Cyber Operations, ANGRC, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
17. Aug 2014 – Dec 2016, Chief, NGB Property and Fiscal Operations Division, NG-J8, National Guard Bureau, Arlington, Va.
18. Dec 2016 – Present, Chief of Staff, Headquarters, West Virginia Air National Guard, Charleston, W.Va.
MAJOR AWARDS & DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Humanitarian Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 1 Jun 1988
First Lieutenant 1 Jun 1990
Captain 1 Jun 1992
Major 1 Oct 1999
Lieutenant Colonel 3 Dec 2004
Colonel 17 Feb 2010
Brigadier General 28 Sep 2017
(Current as of February 2019)